The Fond du Lac Police Department has a continuous recruitment process for Patrol Officer. To be considered, please submit an application. See the employment link above for further information.
ABOUT THE FOND DU LAC POLICE
The Fond du Lac Police Force May 30, 1903
When Fond du Lac was incorporated as a village in 1847 two constables were elected each year. When the city charter was obtained in 1852 city marshals were appointed each year.
In 1866 the legislature abolished the office of city marshal and the police force came into existence. Each year from 1866 to 1885 the Common Council elected the police chief and policemen. In 1885 the law was changed by the creation of a Police and Fire Commission to manage these departments.
In 1866 the first jail and police barn were built. Police headquarters were in the council room. In 1890 the jail and police barn were remodeled and headquarters were moved into that building. This station was abandoned in 1921 and a store building was remodeled and headquarters were moved into that location. In 1954 the present City-County Safety Building was built to house both city and county police agencies at 180 S. Macy Street. In October of 2001, the Police Department relocated to the former Alliant Energy Building at 126 N. Main Street.
The Department now consists of 75 sworn officers, including the chief, and 6 civilian employees. We are committed to providing high quality, community-oriented police services such as School Resource Officers, Crime Prevention Programs, S.W.A.T., Drug Enforcement Unit, Honor Guard Unit, Street Crimes Unit, Police Bike Patrol, Motor Unit, Public Housing Officer, two K-9 Units and a Chaplaincy Program.
|1861||Charles Van Norder|
Chiefs of Police
|1867-1868||James T. Conklin|
|1885 (4 months)||John Gill|
|1885 (8 months)||Jos. Como|
|1922-1944||James J. Silgen, Sr.|
|1944-1945||Elmer H. Kahn|
|1946-1963||James D. Cahill|
|1963-1975||Harold J. Rautenberg|
|1975-1990||Melvin E. Heller|
|2003-2011||J.A. (Tony) Barthuly|
|2011-present||William B. Lamb|
Copyright ©2009 All rights reserved. Website developed & hosted by wisnet.com LLC